Rushing the Quarterback
- Rushers need to be 7 yards off of the line of scrimmage. The Referee will stand 7 yards from the ball and mark the spot.
- Rushers do not need to declare or indicate that they are rushing
- They do not need to be standing right next to the Referee. The Rusher just needs to be aligned with the referee on that 7 yard line.
- More than 1 child can rush from that 7 yard line
- Coaches could rush all 5 kids if they wanted
- However it is not recommend as it leaves your defense vulnerable to a quick pass.
- Once the ball starts to move on the snap the rusher may start their rush
- If the rusher leaves early they are permitted to go back to the 7 yard line and reset to restart their rush
- If rusher leaves early, a flag is not thrown until the rusher crosses the line of scrimmage
- The Rusher must avoid the center in their current position.
- The Rusher is not permitted to make any contact with the QB and should come in under control as they attempt to pull the QB's flag
- The Center should not step into where the defender is rushing as the Defender should have a clear line to rush the QB
Defenders who are lines up less than 7 yards from the line of scrimmage:
- Are not permitted to cross the line of scrimmage until the Quarterback (the person receiving the snap) either hands off the ball or pitches the ball.
- There is no counting for when defenders who are not lined up at the rushing line can cross the line scrimmage.
- Players not at the rushing line are only permitted to cross the line of scrimmage when the quarterback hands off or pitches the ball.
- The Quarterback does have 7 seconds to throw or handoff the ball. At the end of 7 seconds the play is blown dead.
Illegal Rush Penalty
- 10 yards penalty from the Line of scrimmage and replay of the down
- Offense can decline the penalty and take the yards gain on the play.
- Typically if play is longer than 10 yards then the penalty should be decline
- Play should not be blown dead due to the penalty as play should continue to go on
- The one exception is on a turn over. If the ball is intercepted the play should then be blown dead due to the penalty as Offense would regain possession of the ball.