Legal Methods of Snapping:
- Ball must go between the legs of the center
- Quarter back can either take the ball from Under Center or via Shotgun
Check out our Snapping Fundamental of the Week Video for more information on how to snap a football in Flag Football.
Please note that on a fumbled snap or dropped shot gun snap the ball is placed back at the original spot of the snap. In the event that the ball goes over the head of the defender and lands in the end zone, this play would not result in a safety. It is a dead ball and would return to the original spot.
- 1st Down - Ball is on the 5 yard line and the QB drops the snap from under center. Play is whistled dead once ball hits the ground. Ball will be placed at the 5 yard line. It will then be 2nd down.
- 2nd Down - Ball is on the 5 yard line and QB lines up in shot gun. The shot gun snap misses the quarter back and lands at the 1 yard line. Play is whistled dead once it hits the ground and will be placed at the 5 yard line. It will then be 3rd down.
- 3rd Down - Ball is on the 5 yard line with the QB lined up in a Shot Gun snap position. Ball goes over the QB's head and lands in the end zone.
- This is not counted as a safety as the team never had possession of the ball.
- Another reason we don't count this as a safety is that all teams start at the 5 yard line and it is very easy to snap a ball over the someones head.